Background Information

June 1916 : Conference of Returned Soldiers' Association recommended formation of The Returned Sailors and Soldiers Imperial League of Australia (RSSILA) 

 

November 1940 : Name changed to the Returned Sailors' Soldiers' and Airmens Imperial League of Australia (RSSAILA)

 

October 1965 : Name changed to Returned Services League of Australia (RSL) 

 

September 1983 : Name changed to Returned Services League of Australia Limited (RSL) 

 

September 1990 : Name changed to Returned & Services League of Australia Limited (RSL)

 

---

 

In 1916 the government granted the old and original Enoggera State School building for use as a School of Arts. This was used by the School of Arts on the school site for a short period of time, and was later moved to its present site at the intersection of Wardell and Trundle Streets, Enoggera. This original small building still remains at the southern rear end, and was incorporated into the design when construction commenced on the current Enoggera Memorial Hall in 1925.

 

As both a School of Arts and Memorial Hall it has well served the community throughout its existence with continual occupation and use.

 

During the construction of the Enoggera rail fly-over, it was only through the efforts of the community that saved the building from destruction or removal.


---

 

Article from Brisbane Courier - 13th July 1925

 

MEMORIAL HALL - ENOGGERA SCHOOL OF ARTS

 

As a result of the united efforts of the Enoggera sub-branch of the R.S.S.I.L.A. and the local School of Arts Committee, and with the assistance of a patriotic community, Enoggera is to have a Memorial Hall well worthy of the progress of that district. At the stump capping ceremony on Saturday afternoon there was ample evidence of successful co-operation, and the sympathy of the residents towards the project was demonstrated by the monetary gifts of over £50 given during the course of the function. In outlining the efforts of the committee, the president of the School of Arts (Mr. F. McGhie) stated that the negotiations commenced in 1916, when the Government granted the old school buildings for the purpose required, allowing the building to remain on its site until suitable land had been acquired. In 1918 the Returned Soldiers introduced the question of a suitable war memorial and as a result of negotiations it was later decided to work in conjunction with the object of erecting a Memorial Hall, embracing the School of Arts and Soldiers' Hall. As a result of their united efforts the sum of £1237 had been collected towards the cost (£1625), while satisfactory arrangements had been made for financing the balance. In addition the committee had furniture on hand to the value of £265, while the library at present contained 1400 books. The building, which is now in course of construction, would comprise a hall 54ft. X 30ft., with a stage 26ft. X 15ft. In addition there would be two ante-rooms 17ft. X 11½ft., library 20ft. X 16 ft., and a soldiers' room 20ft. X 24 ft., which would contain a billiard table. In the front of the building, which is of artistic design, will be a marble table inscribed "Their Name Liveth for Evermore."

 

In the course of an address, Mr. J. S. Kerr, M.L.A., member for Enoggera, stated the achievement was indictative of the sentiment of loyalty and progress of the district. The erection of a Memorial Hall was an outward expression of noble thoughts, and it had been brought about by the public spirit of the residents, working in complete harmony for the public good. The progress of the district during the last five years had been phenomenal, he said, and a School of Arts had been required for many years. He congratulated all in their efforts, and trusted the public would continue their support.

 

Other speakers included Mr. V. Rayment, secretary of the Enoggera sub-branch of the R.S.S.I.L.A

 

Colonel T. Pye was the architect for the building, the contract being in the hands of Messrs. A. Woollam and Sons, of Wilston.

 

 

© 2015 Enoggera and Districts Historical Society Inc.